Friday, March 28, 2008

Float Away, Part un

There are many firsts in life, but scarier than those are on your own firsts. For instance right from taking the first step with support but finally stepping out on your own, driving with an instructor and then driving on the freeway on your own. I am planning to attempt a swimming on your own pretty soon. And this post is a mental psyching of sorts.

I try to keep this blog impersonal with mostly my thoughts on the page. The main reason being I want my autobiography to be completely unheard of, sudden bestseller. Anyways back to my floating topic which I will make it exceptionally personal.

So after years of daydreams about perfect strokes, straight clean lines I decided to take the plunge literally. It turned out to be more dog paddling rather than those elegant moves, more swosh than swish, u get my drift. But the funnest part was when the instructor said, kick the kick board and go for it after just one lesson of getting to know the water.

I stood there amazed, feeling like the biggest slacker and looser in the class when everybody in sight dived for it. In hindsight many of these supposed “beginners” had learned swimming once upon a time which I in my moment of despair and self doubt had no bearing off. So as I stood there seeing people reach that not so far off but finish line, I had to do something before they were back. I mean I was paying for this supposed class of lets make a blind dive. So I pushed against the wall and made that beautiful leap, wham quite some distance from the starting post, but then the question was now what.

With my kickboard practices my legs had become accustomed to kicking around, but moving hands too at the same time in a rhythm. Now I wont gloat but I can dance, do those weird lingo specific step and kickbox classes too, but here I was completely out of any kind of coordination. To top it all, my brain had perfectly timed to breathe when head under water, and yes I don’t have fins yet. As a result after my beautiful leap I was groping around to stand in the middle coughing and spurting water out. Did I mention all this while my eyes were closed shut too (I got my goggles the next day).

Anyways looking back this post is becoming real long, and I m completely drowned as of now, so shall post the exciting finish to my personal float blog soon, until then swim away, this post cannot be any more clichéd..

No comments: